Read·y ˈredē/ adjective


September 30, 2013

read·y
/'redē/
adjective
1. in a suitable state for an activity, action, or situation; fully prepared.

   synonyms: prepared, set, all set, organized, primed

Everyone has been asking me if I'm "ready", so I wanted to see what that actually meant. Turns out, I was correct...I am most certainly NOT ready! Am I, "in a suitable state for an activity, action, or situation"? If you mean childbirth, obviously not or I would be in labor at this very moment. If you mean, becoming a mother, I guess that depends on who you ask.  I am single, have never done this before, have limited resources, and am winging most of this, so you be the judge.  If you mean changing my life, irrevocably, forever times infinity, with no hope of ever turning back, who the hell is ever in a suitable state for that?? 

And finally, as the definition states, am I "fully prepared"? HELL TO THE NO.

I guess the big secret is, no one ever is. And that's ok. It works out. Babies get raised, help arrives, everyone survives, and often everyone thrives. I will say this though, I am in no way sick of being pregnant, or miserable, or ready for it to be over. I am grateful for every day I have to get things done, I am happy to keep carrying her for a bit longer while she grows, and I know this will likely be the only time I ever have this experience, so I don't want to rush any of it. She seems content, I am content. I would do this all over gain in a heartbeat...but I do wish I felt more certain that everything will be ok.

"It's so hard to keep my sticky little fingers off the controls of this spaceship, especially when I get scared..." 

-Anne Lamott, Operating Instructions

The good news is, the room is ready! The room is officially in a suitable state for the activity of having a baby in it, the action of caring for said baby, and the situation in which a baby needs to be in a room. It is fully prepared. And so, I present the nursery.


Lara gave me the mummy/baby jellyfish set, and Kate and Leia gave me the hedgehogs. Anya gave us the Dutch print that translates to, "After the rain, comes the sunshine." :)




 All ready for my helpers!





No comments:

Post a Comment