A rose by any other name...

 I have, of course, begun feverishly searching for names for my as yet un-conceived (better than ill conceived) baby person.

Here is a brief study in how this process goes...

Adelaide. Love this name. Perfect. Done.
Crap, there is a character on American Horror Story who has Down's Syndrome and says the line "You're gonna die in that house." repeatedly.  Adelaide

Vivianne. Pretty but strong. Love Viv. Perfect. Done.
Crap, that's the name of Adelaide's mother on the aforementioned show.  Vivianne

Adeline. Good second choice for Adelaide.
Crap, sounds too much like Madeline which I am sick to death of. Adeline

Helene. Strong and feminine.
Crap, turns out there's an African American haircare company called Queen Helene. They do make nice cocoa butter, but still. Helene

Emaline. Good third choice for Adeline.
Crap, everyone will call her Ema-line instead of Ema-leen. Too southern. Emaline

Annalies. Dutch, pretty, sounds floral.
Crap, has 'ANNA' in it and everyone will call her Anna-lees instead of AHHna-lees. Ick. Annalies

Beatrix. A Queen's name. Unusual. Dutch. I like B names.
Crap, turns out I'm uncomfortable having an 'X' in the name. Beatrix

Anneke. L.O.V.E. this. Reminds me of my childhood friend. Dutch. Perfect. Done.
Crap, Annika (same pronunciation) was the 506th most popular name in 2011. Anneke


And so here I sit. All I know for sure is that the girl's middle name will be Margaret, or a variation, and the boy's middle name will be John, or a variation. I think Margriet and Johannes.

At least I haven't found any reasons to hate those...yet.
 


2 comments:

  1. How's this for weird; my (as yet unborn) girl will be Marguerite Johanna. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny! you never told me about the Margaret name, where is that coming from? Do you just love it or is it for someone?

    ReplyDelete